Here's an idea...

TimGDixon

Re: Here's an idea...

Post by TimGDixon »

I was conversing with a friend about WWII and the Marines who fought in the Pacific with my Dad and i remembered a letter i got from his sister when he passed away in 1995. A story i never knew.

"After WWII Story"
"When the ship landed that brought Bud home after peace was declared- he had some wounds unhealed so he could not come to shore for a week or so because of fever. Uncle Draper and Aunt Gladys were there. He (sic Uncle Draper) had come in on a ship a day or two before. He checked the listing for the ships and found Bud. On the day Bud came ashore, Uncle Draper and Aunt Gladys were waiting for him. Guess what? He had hair almost to his waist, braided and tied with a piece of manilla hemp rope he had braided himself - his beard was way past his chin. When Uncle Draper asked him what he wanted to do first he said "find me a good barber". Uncle Draper said Bud would not let Aunt Gladys take a picture of him. Did he ever tell you that? As if you don't know it - your Dad was a Man among Men - one all by himself."

Thats my Dad on the right and my Uncle Draper on the left c. 1940
dad_and_draper.jpg
dad_and_draper.jpg (116.09 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
aunt_Letha_Dad.jpg
aunt_Letha_Dad.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
curncman

Post by curncman »

Tim, you DAD was a HERO and will always be!
rrao11

Post by rrao11 »

Agree with Cruncman! Your dad and uncle were/are heros. !
TimGDixon

Post by TimGDixon »

Good Ol' Texas Boys!!!
Gnikmj97

Post by Gnikmj97 »

My Grandfather fought in Tarawa, after researching the history, I have a greater understanding of why he was a hardened man. Texas is our homestead too.
TimGDixon

Post by TimGDixon »

As the Old Breed would say "Semper Fi" Gnikmj97. Your grandfather was one of our nations bravest - never forget that - within minutes that morning there were hundreds of dead Marines on the beachhead. This will tell you what kind of a man your Grandfather was. And my Father was right there with him.

TimGDixon

Post by TimGDixon »

And they got back on their boats and did it again and again and again until it was over.
Howzitgoing

Post by Howzitgoing »

Yes, iHump protects the bashers, which makes one wonder how much these 24/7 professionals pay the platform for the opportunity to short and distort, etc. Post deleted even though it wasn't directed at a particular individual and therefore not in violation of the TOS:

We need QuadraBash, antiinflammatory for inflamed, unregulated, densely dense individuals at risk of spreading irresponsible rhetoric.
TimGDixon

Post by TimGDixon »

I like it QuadraBash!!!!
toe-fat

Post by toe-fat »

I know for a FACT that there is a full-time I_HUB administrator watching your thread. Great job in putting out that news about their siding with bashers and not giving a rats ass about the Companies that paid them regularly moving to other News Wires! Their loss. Many Companies no longer advertising with them anymore which is I_HUB's bread and butter. KUDOS to you!